Text: Mark 10:17–25; Proverbs 16:18
Topic(s): Pride, Reputation
Big Idea of the Message: Pride grows because we crave independence and self-sufficiency, yet we are called to depend on God in humility.
Application Point: Be your real self with God and others. Set down the baggage of pride this week through a hard conversation or an honest prayer.
- What is one thing that stood out to you from this week’s message?
- Proverbs says that pride comes before a fall (16:18) and humility comes before honor (15:33). Are these two statements literary parallels or juxtapositions?
- Why is pride a hidden sin? Is this a sin we are okay with our church leaders committing? Why or why not?
- Is there a benefit to carrying only the necessary items with us in life? If so, what are the benefits, and what types of things would make the cut in our lightweight backpacks?
- If we have spent more than a few hours with young children, we have most likely noticed them displaying an act of stubbornness or a “stiff neck.” What are some reasons kids show pride or stubbornness? How about adults?
- How can pride affect our relationship with God?
- How can we pray for you?